Well today I felt empowered with flavor and well to be honest, I feel like I finally mastered it, hence the french toast post. After trying the first bite Landon said he wanted to eat 6 more!... which isn't like Landon in the morning... so that made me happy. I added Buttermilk for some tang, lots of vanilla for a punch, and a dash of nutmeg for depth of flavor.
Quick note, I am picky on my french toast and don't like when it is soggy or strong egg flavored so if you do like that, add more eggs and let it soak longer in the mixture.
Vanilla Buttermilk French Toast
makes about 8 slices
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. milk
1 tbsp. vanilla sugar*
2 vanilla pods
1 tsp. cinnamon (plus more for dusting)
dash of nutmeg
1 loaf of fresh French Bread
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Split both vanilla pods, remove beans, and place in bowl with pods. Mix all ingredients together in the same bowl.
3. Cut 1" - 1 1/2" slices of the French Bread and dip them into mixture. Place onto hot buttered pan.
4. After each side is browned place a lid on the pan to steam the egg in the bread. After a few minutes continue to flip the slices, and then transfer slices to oven to continue cooking.
5. Keep an eye on your french bread but after about 5-7 minutes it is ready to eat!
*For vanilla sugar you simply slice a few pods and put them in your sugar jar/container. After a few weeks the pods break down and your sugar is infused with vanilla! It's our favorite.